Phoenix has a diverse list of large employers in both the public and private sector – from education government and healthcare to technology manufacturing and the military three of which (Wal-Mart Wells Fargo and JPMorgan Chase) made Fortune magazine’s 2010 World’s 50 Most Admired Companies list. Here’s a list of Phoenix’s Top 25 Largest Employers including a brief description of the organization with contact information web site and number of employees.
1. State of Arizona49800 employees 100 N. 15th Avenue Phoenix 85007 602-542-1500 (Phoenix main) www.azstatejobs.gov
The State of Arizona employs nearly 50000 people in various state government offices.
2. Wal-Mart Stores Inc.30634 employees 702 SW 8th Street Bentonville Arkansas 72716-8611 800-925-6278 www.walmartstores.com
Retail giant Wal-Mart based in Bentonville Arkansas employs over 30000 in the state of Arizona many of whom work at its Phoenix-area supercenters discount stores neighborhood markets Sam’s Clubs and distribution centers.
3. Banner Health24825 employees 1441 N. 12th Street Phoenix AZ 85006 602-747-4000 www.bannerhealth.com
With more than eight locations valley-wide Banner Health is a non-profit healthcare organization that encompasses many hospitals imaging centers and several outpatient clinics as well as a bariatric center.
4. City of Phoenix15100 employees 135 N. Second Avenue Phoenix 85003 602-262-6608 www.phoenix.gov/hr
Phoenix is not only rich in culture and history but is also the fifth-most populous city in the U.S with more than 1.6 million residents who call the city home offering various employment opportunities with benefits.
5. Wells Fargo13308 employees 100 W. Washington Street Phoenix 85003 602-378-4644 www.wellsfargo.com
Wells Fargo operates bank branches business banking offices and an operations and support center in addition to offering private client services in the region.
6. Bank of America13300 employees 100 N. Tryon Street #3120 Charlotte NC 28202 www.bankofamerica.com
Bank of America is one of the world’s largest financial institutions serving individual customers small- and middle-market businesses and large corporations with a full range of banking investing asset management and other financial and risk management products and services.
7. Maricopa County12792 employees 301 West Jefferson Street Phoenix 85701 602-506-3011 www.maricopa.gov
Maricopa County covers 9224 square miles and ranks fourth in population among all counties in the U.S. In fact more than half of Arizona residents live in Maricopa County.
8. Arizona State University11185 employees 1151 S. Forest Ave. Tempe 85281 480-965-2100 www.asu.edu
As one of the largest universities in the country Arizona State University serves over 73000 students from all 50 states and more than 100 countries. ASU’s main campus is in Tempe with several other campuses in the Phoenix metro area including a large downtown campus. Academic offerings include more than 250 undergraduate and graduate programs plus a range of certificate programs.
9. Apollo Group Inc.11000 employees 4025 S. Riverpoint Parkway Phoenix 85040 800-990-APOL www.apollo.edu
Apollo College offers degree and diploma programs in healthcare dental and veterinary career fields and operates nine campuses across the western United States – including two in the Phoenix area: Phoenix and Phoenix Westside.
10. JPMorgan Chase & Co.10600 employees 201 N. Central Avenue Phoenix 85004 866-777-4690 www.careersatchase.com
Headquartered in New York JPMorgan Chase offers the following in the Phoenix metro area: Private Client Services; Chase Card Services Chase Home Finance Loan Center and Chase Telephone Banking in Tempe and more than 50 Chase Bank branches.
11. Intel Corp.10300 employees 5000 W. Chandler Blvd. CH7-301 Chandler 85226 480-554-8080 www.intel.com
The world’s largest semiconductor company has two large manufacturing and research complexes in Chandler a nearby suburb of Phoenix with a new manufacturing facility currently under construction.
12. US Airways9093 employees 100 W. Rio Salado Pkwy Tempe 85281 480-693-5815 www.usairways.com
US Airways along with US Airways Shuttle and US Airways Express operates more than 3200 flights per day and serves over 200 destinations in the U.S. Canada Europe the Caribbean and Latin America. The airline employs nearly 33000 aviation professionals worldwide.
13. Mesa Public Schools/ Mesa Unified School District8376 employees 63 E. Main Street Suite 101 Mesa 85201 480-472-7200 www.mpsaz.org
With 56 elementary schools; 11 junior high schools; 6 senior high schools; 7 “success” schools; and 14 “choice” programs/schools (including early learning and Head Start programs) the Mesa Unified School District one of the state’s largest serving close to 63000 students in grades Pre-K-12 for the 2012-13 school year. In 2013 the district was home to 15 National Merit semifinalists and five of its high schools were honored by U.S. News and World Report’s 2010 Best High Schools Search.
14. U.S. Postal Service8017 employees 4949 E. Van Buren Street Phoenix 85026 602-225-3158 / 800-275-8777 www.usps.com
An independent federal agency the U.S. Postal Service is the only delivery service that visits every address in the nation — 146 million homes and businesses. It has 37000 retail locations nationwide and over 100 locations in metro Phoenix relying on the sale of postage products and services – not tax dollars – to pay for operating expenses. The Postal Service has annual revenues of $65 billion and delivers nearly half the world’s mail.
15. Dignity Health7838 employees 350 W. Thomas Rd. Phoenix 85013 602-406-3000 www.ichosestjoes.com
Founded in 1986 and headquartered in San Francisco CA Dignity Health is the fifth largest hospital provider in the nation with more than 60000 nurses hospitals clinics and physicians caring for the sick poor and disadvantaged in California Arizona and Nevada. The Phoenix metro area is home to four of the 39 hospitals in his network.
16. American Express7603 employees 20022 N. 31st Ave. Phoenix 85027 602-537-8500 www.americanexpress.com
Globally known for products ranging from personal finances to business success American Express in Phoenix is home to technical operational and customer service careers and the main data center all located in various parts of the city. The Amex card accounts for almost 24% of total dollar volume of credit card transactions in the country.
17. Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold7550 employees 333 North Central Ave. Phoenix Arizona 85004 602-366-8100 www.fcx.com
Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold Inc. (FCX) is an international mining company with headquarters in Phoenix Arizona and several mining operations in the Tucson area. The company has a dynamic portfolio of operating expansion and growth projects in the copper industry and is the world’s largest producer of molybdenum.
18. Scottsdale Healthcare6500 employees 7400 E. Osborn Rd. Scottsdale Arizona 85004 877-898-6569 / 480-882-4000 www.shc.org
A not-for-profit organization founded in 1962 Scottsdale Healthcare is a leader in medical innovation talent and technology spread across three hospitals in the Northeast Valley. In addition they offer outpatient surgery centers home health services and community education and outreach services serving the community now and into the future.
19. Arizona Public Service6300 employees 400 N. 5th St. (Talent Acquisition) M.S. 8012 Phoenix 85004 602-371-7171 / 800-253-9405 www.aps.com
Generating electricity for 11 of Arizona’s 15 counties APS lights up over 1.1 million homes businesses and neighborhoods across the state. With plans to add 750000 more customers by 2030 through traditional means and innovative sustainable energy sources APS offers a range of career opportunities in Phoenix and beyond.
20. Kroger5525 employees 500 S. 99th Avenue Tolleson 85353 623-936-2100 www.frysfood.com
A subsidiary of the Kroger Co. Fry’s Food Stores operates more than 100 grocery stores that serve the Phoenix area and surrounding counties. Headquartered in Cincinnati Ohio Kroger (NYSE:KR) is one of the nation’s largest grocery retailers with fiscal 2012 sales of $96.8 billion.
21. Mayo Clinic Hospital5067 employees 5777 E. Mayo Blvd Phoenix AZ 85054 480-515-6296 480-342-2000 www.mayoclinic.org/mchospital-sct/
Mayo Clinic known worldwide for excellence in healthcare services and research offers a clinic and hospital in Phoenix. The hospital provides care with 268 licensed beds and 21 operation rooms while the clinic houses a variety of specialists for preventive and ongoing care.
22. Boeing Co.4700 employees 5000 E. McDowell Rd. Mesa AZ 85215 480-891-3000 www.boeing.com
Boeing is the well-known aerospace giant headquartered in Chicago making its Arizona home in Mesa. They offer a range of employment opportunities ranging from administrative management to technical providing commercial and defense related products worldwide.
23. Maricopa County Community College District4611 employees 2411 W. 14th St. Tempe AZ 85281 480-731-8000 www.maricopa.edu
With ten community colleges two skill centers and numerous education centers spread across the valley Maricopa County Community College District offers a variety of locations in which to seek employment. The system offers about 1000 occupational programs 37 academic associate degrees with a total of over 10000 courses.
24. Salt River Project4374 employees 1521 N. Project Dr. Tempe AZ 85281-1298 602-236-5900 www.srpnet.com
SRP provides reasonably priced and reliable electricity and water to over 2 million people in Central Arizona making it one of the nation’s largest public power utilities.
25. Abrazo Health Care4143 employees 8620 N. 22nd Ave. #200 Phoenix AZ 85021 602-674-1400 (Regional Office) www.abrazohealth.com
Part of the Nashville-based Vanguard Health Systems Abrazo is the second largest health care company in Phoenix delivering quality personalized healthcare operating hospitals medical groups and health plans.SOURCE: The Arizona Republic AZCentral.com About.com The Greater Phoenix Economic Council www.gpec.org/doing-business-in-phoenix/top-employers