Moving to a new city is one of the most stressful events in someones’ life. Although exciting, there are so many details to plan. The Phoenix Relocation Guide is here to help you plan your move to Phoenix
Eight Weeks Ahead – Begin to Plan Your Move to Phoenix
- Contact your mover to make arrangements for moving day. Make certain that estimators are aware of everything that must be moved. Don’t “forget” the lawn furniture etc. The charge for interstate moves will be based on actual weight and distance; not on estimates unless you have requested and received a binding estimate. A binding estimate specifies in advance the cost of your move. It includes all transportation charges plus any additional services which you might request. It does not include items which are later added to the shipment or any additional services which may become necessary after the computation has been prepared. Determine what degree of legal protection is needed for the safety of your goods. From acceptance to delivery of your goods the carrier is responsible for your shipment. Responsibility is not the same as liability however.
- Start to use up things you can’t move such as frozen foods and cleaning supplies.
Six Weeks Ahead
- Contact the IRS and/or your accountant for information on what moving expenses may be tax-deductible.
- Begin to inventory and evaluate your possessions. What can be sold or donated to a charitable organization? What haven’t you used within the last year?
- Make a list of everyone you need to notify about your move: friends, professionals, creditors, subscriptions etc.
- If some of your goods are to be stored make the necessary arrangements now. (Your moving counselor should be able to help.)
- As you continue to plan your move to Phoenix, remember to contact doctors, dentists, lawyers and accountants and obtain copies of your personal records. Ask for referrals where possible.
Four Weeks Ahead
- Obtain a change-of-address kit from the post office and begin filling out cards with the effective date of the move. Fill out a change for each family member receiving mail.
- When you plan your move to Phoenix, its important to arrange special transportation for your pets and plants. Take pets to the veterinarian for required health certificates and rabies shots.
- Notify the principal of your children’s school about your intended move and arrange for transfer of school records and credentials.
- Contact utility and related companies (gas, electric, oil, water, telephone, cable TV and trash collection) for service disconnect/connect at your old and new addresses. However remember to keep phone and utilities connected at your current home throughout moving day.
- Contact insurance companies (auto, homeowner’s or renter’s, medical and life) to arrange for coverage in your new location.
- Plan a garage sale to sell unneeded items or arrange to donate them to charity. If donating get receipts for possible tax deductions.
Three Weeks Ahead
- Make travel arrangements and reservations for your moving trip. However you may not wish to make plane reservations for the same day that you’re moving out.
- Collect important papers (insurance,will, deeds, passport, stock, birth records etc.).
- Arrange to close accounts in your local bank and open accounts in your new locale.
One Week Ahead
- Have your car serviced and checked for problems.
- Transfer your fire insurance on house-hold goods or other insurance on personal possessions so that they will be covered at your new home and enroute.
- Arrange for sufficient cash or travelers checks to cover cost of moving services and expenses until you make banking connections. Cash or certified check is required by the moving company. They will not unpack the van without it.
- Don’t forget to withdraw the contents of your safe deposit box pick up any dry-cleaning return library books and rented video tapes etc.
Three Days Ahead – You are so close to your Move to Phoenix!
- Defrost your freezer and refrigerator. Block doors open so they can’t accidentally close on pets or children.
- Have your major appliances disconnected and prepared for the move.
- Pack a box of personal items that will be needed immediately at your new home. Have this box loaded last or carry it with you in your car.
- Bed smart as you plan your move to Phoenix and be sure to organize and set aside those things that you’re taking with you so that they don’t get loaded on the van in error.
- Cancel telephone and home deliveries
Move to Phoenix!
- Make sure that someone is at home to answer the van foreman’s questions. Read your bill of lading and inventory carefully before you sign them. Keep these – and all related papers – in a safe location until all charges have been paid and all claims if any have been settled.
- Leave keys for your old property with your Realtor® or neighbors.